Regulations of the Japanese Society for Language Sciences (JSLS)
Article 1 Name
The society shall be known as the Japanese Society for Language Sciences (JSLS), or Gengo Kagakkai in Japanese.
Article 2 Purposes
The purposes of this society shall be to stimulate research in the language sciences based on natural language data, in areas such as language acquisition, psycholinguistics, discourse analysis and sociolinguistics, and to support the development of the language sciences through exchange between researchers.
Article 3 Activities
This society shall conduct activities for the purposes listed above.
1. Annual conference
2. Meetings, workshops, lectures
3. Publications, such as conference proceedings
4. Other necessary activities
Article 4 Official Languages
The official languages of this society shall be Japanese and English.
Article 5 Membership
Members will fall into the following two categories:
1. Full members: Individuals who agree with the purposes of this society, have submitted an application for membership, and have paid their annual dues.
2. Supporting members: Organizations that agree with the purposes of this society, and have paid their annual dues.
Article 6 Privileges and responsibilities of members
1. Full members and student members shall have the privileges and responsibilities of attending the annual conference and participating in various deliberations.
2. Full members and student members shall have the privilege to participate in and present research at the various meetings sponsored by the society、as well as receive information from the society.
3. Supporting members can participate in the annual conference as well as the various meetings sponsored by this society.
4. Supporting members shall receive information from the society.
5. Members shall bear the responsibility of applying for membership and paying annual dues.
Article 7 Organization
1. Several of the members shall be selected from the full membership to be members of the Steering Committee, namely officers of the society.
2. The Steering Committee members shall form a Steering Committee, and shall transact the business of the society.
3. A president and vice-president shall be selected. The president shall be the official representative of the society. Furthermore, the vice-president shall support the president, and shall serve as the president in the case of a vacancy due to unavoidable circumstances.
4. The president shall serve as the president of the Steering
Committee, and the vice-president shall serve as the vice-president of the Steering Committee.
5. Details regarding the election and terms of the president and vice-president are set forth below.
Article 8 Annual Conference
This society will hold an annual conference.
Article 9 Dues & Finances
1. The operating expenses of this society shall be funded by annual membership dues and endowments.
2. The annual dues shall be determined below.
3. The fiscal year of the society shall start every year on January 1, and end on December 31 of the following year.
4. The closing account of the previous year, as well as the budget for the following year, shall be discussed and determined at the annual conference. This decision must be approved by at least two-thirds of the full members attending the general meeting at the annual conference.
Article 10 Amendments of the regulations and related details
Amendments of the regulations of this society must be discussed at the annual conference and approved by at least two-thirds of the general membership attending the conference. The execution of the regulations, as well as necessary related details shall be determined by the Steering Committee.
1. These regulations of the society will take effect on August 7, 1999.
2. As a extraordinary measure during the founding period for the society, the following persons shall serve as officers of this society until June 30, 2001. During this period, the “Detailed rules for the execution of the Japanese Society for Language Sciences” shall not apply.
Chairperson: Yuriko Oshima-Takane
Vice-chairperson: Shizuo Iwatate
Steering committee officers
Yuriko Oshima-Takane, Shizuo Iwatate, Mariko Hayashi, Harumi Kobayashi, Yoko Kuriyama, Susanne Miyata, Norio Naka, Keiko Nakamura, Hiroyuki Nishizawa, Tamiko Ogura, Seiko Ono, Kiyoshi Otomo, Hidetosi Shirai, Yasuhiro Shirai, Masatoshi Sugiura
3. Revisions in regulations, namely Article 1, 2, 9 (3, 4) will take effect on June 23, 2001.
4. Revisions in regulations, namely Article 1, Article 2, Article 7,
Article 9 (3, 4), will take effect on July 6, 2002.
5. Revisions in regulations, namely Article 6 will take effect on July 18, 2004.